Monday, August 15, 2011

Andrew Bravener's Open Letter To Youtube





Don't know how I missed this one from Andrew Bravener (actually I do - it's because it sort of got buried like he explains in the video) but this is a good vlog where he explains his feelings about the current state of Youtube compared to what the website was like 3 or 4 years back. Actually watch the video because Andrew explains it a lot better than I do.



After watching this video I wanted to do a video response saying "Hey Andrew. I do MY part. I do a lame blog promoting various Youtubers (big and small channels)." But I didn't. I thought well, I'll feature the video here maybe with a couple of the video responses others have posted.

I agree whole-heartedly with what he says in this video about smaller channels being buried by the rush to monetize everything about Youtube (I've read that the website is tracking to make one billion dollars this year which is good for those who run the site as well as those in the Youtube Partnership Program, but for the most part the vast majority of those who post videos and upload their own content do not see a plug nickel.

I am not trying to slam those who are trying to make some money with the website because there is a lot of great content being posted (that I report on here) but there is also a lot that is never seen because of the pre-eminence of larger channels that dominant the boards pushing smaller channels out of the community's eye. That is one of the reasons I started this blog - to try to bring interesting fun content to the attention of those who might miss it. There are only so many hours in the day so even I miss a lot of cool stuff being posted on Youtube (it took me four months to find Andrew's video for example) so you and I need to do a little digging and look for content beyond the latest from Ray William Johnson, iJustine and Tobuscus. Don't get me wrong, I do watch all their stuff too, but I also look for smaller channels (and you should too).

Anyway, take a look at a couple of the video responses to his original video:

StrummingSally's response to "An Open Letter To Youtube".



crazycrisco's response to "An Open Letter To Youtube".



I think Chris may have taken active steps to follow up on this response because he has been posting videos fairly regularly since posting this response to Andrew's video.

What are your impressions of Andrew's rant about the state of Youtube?

1 comment:

  1. So, found your blog through Charles Trippy and I'm glad I did. I think what you're doing with this blog is great, and it's nice to see big and small YouTubers getting featured here.

    Of course it's difficult to gain subscribers on today's YouTube, but I think Andrew made a good point that YouTube just shouldn't be about that. I really admire people who use their influence to do something awesome, whether it be promoting awareness about the environment, encouraging people to volunteer somewhere, or raising money for a good cause.

    When I began a fundraising project on my channel, I started to get a small but wonderful audience of people who watch, donate, share, and are just generally great. That's more meaningful to me than anything. I mean, sure, it's definitely exciting when new people come around, but I want them to be there because they like my content, or my goals, or whatever. Hopefully, YouTube will figure out a way to help the small channels as much as they help the same few who are featured on the front page every day. I'm hoping to stick around until they do. Thanks for your insightful post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...